The Calumet Building
The Calumet Building, designed by Esenwein & Johnson in 1906 for Robert Root, was constructed in the Chicago Style of architecture. This building is also the best example of Art Nouveau-inspired glazed terra cotta in the city of Buffalo. Unfortunately, the building’s exterior had degraded over the years, risking the loss of one of Buffalo’s prime examples of its rich architectural history. Following the Secretary of Interior’s Standards, the original 1906 façade has been restored. The restoration includes the reclamation of the beautiful historic windows and storefronts, as well the addition of a few new windows on the less prominent elevations to allow the building to accommodate its modern users. A 1,800 square foot addition has also sensitively been added to the rear of the building to accommodate the contemporary requirements for access and exiting. The new addition is a simple brick post and beam tower constructed with the proportions of the southernmost bay on the West elevation to softly compliment the original building.